Feel free to comment with your ideas and opinions!

1.     Meet your coworkers/make a friend- Don’t hesitate to introduce yourself to your co-workers, express your excitement for the upcoming year and greet them with a smile.  Find a grade level team member or another staff whom you think you could get along with and go out of your way you visit their room and introduce yourself.  Think of a question or two you could ask their advice on to break the ice.

2.     Make friends with support staff – This one is HUGE your best friends while you are a teacher should be the secretaries, custodians, and cafeteria workers.  They work HARD in your school and they are your connection to anything and everything you may need throughout the course of the year!

3.     Have student supplies ready- It never fails. There will be students who show up with no pencils, pens, journals, etc.  Have plenty of extra on hand so you can show them that you are willing to meet their basic needs.  Don’t get frustrated at them for not bringing them.  Their parents are the responsible parties and you never know their financial situation.

4.     Have teacher supplies – You will certainly need to have your supplies ready.  Stapler, tape, white out, sharpies, pens, pencils, hot glue gun, etc.  This would be a good ice breaker for a co-worker.  Ask if you can look around their room for anything you may have forgotten!

5.     Know where EVERYTHING is in your room- From paperwork to textbooks.  Know where EVERYTHING in your room is at all times!  Get drawers and organizers and label, label, label.

6.     Set the tone for your year / first impression- Don’t walk with your head down in the hallways.  Make eye contact, smile, and give a hello to your co-workers and support staff.  Your first impression will go a long way in building relationships in the future.

7.     Know your way around the school- You will more than likely get a tour of the school.  However, you need to be sure that you walk the school several times.  Make a mental note (or even written notes) of the location of important places this can be restrooms, the gymnasium, all of the exits, the library, computer lab, etc.

8.     Look over student and staff handbook- Be sure that you are familiar with your school policies.  You need to know the dress code, all student technology expectations, all discipline policies, etc.  You will want to be well versed in these.

9.     Post your name and room number- Label the inside and outside of your classroom with your name and room number.  This will help parents during open house, co-workers in learning your name, and students when they arrive.

10.  A journal- Keep a notebook or a journal in your desk.  Mine is labeled “WOW” notebook.  When a student says something hilarious I will jot it down along with the name and date and look back over the course of the year.  You can also keep a reflective journal.  If you spend just a few minutes at the end of the day to write one positive and one aspect to work on you will be amazed at how more aware you will be of your teaching practices!

11.  A calendar- You will NEED a calendar.  Keep this with you can use different colored ink for different aspects of your life.  I use red for school events, green ink for family events, and blue ink for any appointments scheduled.  Find whatever works for you and stick with it!

12.  Be OVER comfortable with your lesson plans- I cannot stress this one enough.  Before the first day begins you should read over your lessons again, and again, and again.  You should also plan more than what is needed.  The last thing you want is to run out of materials because your adrenaline made you teach at a faster pace.

13.  Get your seating in order- Your students will want to enter a classroom that is already set up and conducive to learning.  Make sure your student seating is set up in a manner to accomplish your plans.  You will more than likely change it several times over the course of the year and that’s okay!

14.  Something to carry your papers and supplies in- You will need an over the shoulder bag or some teachers even use a rolling cart.  Between the papers and books you will be taking home and your supplies you will certainly need something to transport it in.

15.  Don’t expect a perfect day- You will learn quickly as a teacher that lessons and days rarely go exactly as scripted.  There may be vomit, blood, urine, and Lord knows what else show itself on the first day.  There may also be behavior issues on the first day.  This will probably be the toughest job you have ever had but it will also be the most rewarding!

16.  Be ready to adapt- Remember the urine and vomit I mentioned?  You will need to be prepared to adapt and change as you begin your teaching career.  Be willing to stop mid-lesson and change things around if needed.  Be willing to give up your planning (because you will) in order to attend meetings.  In other words, you will live in a constant state of reflection and adaptation as a teacher.  Just remember, to keep this focused on what is best for your students at all times.

Comments

08/20/2015 3:31am

Many people are interested to teach someone. Because, they know how to ask questions and answers for good education. Then, everyone is also happy for using these online essay reviews and content writing books.

11/16/2015 9:18am

Adjusting to a new work environment is quite hard during the initial stage. These lists of strategies can help us adjust in our new work environment just in case we transfer to a different company. Anyways, being a teacher entails a set of tasks. Thus, we should make sure that we get along well with our fellow teachers in case we need their help.

03/15/2016 4:21am

My first teaching demo was during my Teaching of History class. I remember, given my speech, having to be fully determined of coming up with creative and dynamic ideas to make sure that my students paid attention and more importantly, understood the lesson. I shall digress by mentioning while back in college, it decided to give a radio play as one of our requirements. The idea was innovative. Its the same type of teaching that I would want to encourage your students. Organization has to be a given for teaching because you will be dealing with A LOT of students and if are disarray, it will reflect on your teaching too. Well thought-out advice but more importantly, KNOW YOUR STUDENTS. Believe in them, and even if they are a little misbehaved, try to understand where they are coming from. School should not be a contest but an experience. Happy reading your post!

09/14/2015 2:34am

You can only get one "first day of school." Of course, if you don't do well on the first day, that does not mean you should quit teaching. But try to do best at your first day of teaching because you only have one chance to make a first impression.

09/14/2015 6:42am

The first day of class is the time for introductions, and the content should be among those things introduced. This is your opportunity to spotlight on students as distinctive and assorted individuals.

09/17/2015 4:57am

I love what you got here, love what you saying and the way you say it.

09/17/2015 4:58am

That is an extremely well written article.I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your helpful information. Well done!

10/19/2015 3:11am

Try not to dither to acquaint yourself with your colleagues, express your fervor for the forthcoming year and welcome them with a smile. They buckle down in your school and they are your association with everything without exception you may require all through the course

11/09/2015 1:41pm

Thanks for the nice information. I am sure, I will tweet this to my twitter account. This will help a lot of users.

02/12/2016 10:54pm

May I just say what a relief to find an individual who really understands what they're discussing online. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people ought to read this and understand this side of your story. I was surprised you are not more popular because you surely possess the gift.

02/13/2016 8:53am

nice site for sharing information.

The comprehensive essay help reviews from our website are the catalyst for students in selecting the best writing service according to their requirements.

03/04/2016 11:03am

Before you get started with your career as an adult teacher, you would require the necessary education and also a certificate that qualifies you to train others.

03/17/2016 10:52am

Lots of good quality tips for preparation.

06/16/2016 12:59am

Another great post, I appreciate all the work you put into this site, helping out others with your fun and creative works.

Good advices! I like them.

07/22/2016 1:51am

I have read about keep updating about their present works and keep sharing. I love to read on more of this sort. Thank you with regards.

07/25/2016 9:35am

Be the part of the irresistibly force

Would you have the capacity to please send by email me the code for this script or please let me know in learning concerning this script? You ought to let me know in the occasion that you're chasing down a planner for your site. You have some truly inconceivable posts and I think I would be an OK resource. On the off chance that you ever need to take a touch of the heap off, I'd truly get a kick out of the chance to stay in contact with some material for your online journal thusly for a relationship back to mine. Thoughtful give me an email if intrigued. Bounteously esteemed!

09/15/2016 8:26am

It’s going to be finish of mine day, except before end I am reading this enormous paragraph to improve my knowledge.

09/15/2016 1:16pm

I can help you to be prepared for every day of teaching!

09/20/2016 11:49pm

The information you have posted is very useful. The sites you have referred was good. Thanks for sharing..

10/01/2016 12:33am

I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work.

10/22/2016 6:00am

Thanks.

01/29/2017 12:50am

While many find the selection of essential plugins a conundrum I believe in testing each plugin one-by-one with the latest version of WordPress so I can isolate the problem to determine the cause of the slow load times, call function errors or php memory limit warnings.

04/26/2017 12:13pm

I feel that every words you put on this article is always meaningful. That's just great!

05/01/2017 1:08am

Lisa Olson's Pregnancy Miracle book is one of today's most popular sources of information on pregnancy which is why a lot are searching for a Pregnancy Miracle review that will help them know the truth behind the "miracle." If you are one of those who are searching for answers, this article will break the truth down for you.

08/07/2017 8:11am